Tuesday, May 02, 2006

May Day Feasting

For lunch last Thursday we went to the famous Toby carvery at the Orchard (we still stubbornly call it the Orchard, even though I am sure it is just called "The Toby Carvery" nowadays?)

Now you can have a full carvery for only a fiver, a fantastic feast (although does leave you slightly drowsey after eating such a large lunch with a few Stellas in your lunch hour). I opted for a slice of each of the meats, as ever (turkey, ham and beef) and opted for a giant Yorkshire pudding as well as stuffing. I also chose to have horseradish gravy. Fantastic.
In fact it filled me up so much, that I didn't even need any tea. I was still full up late in the evening, which is good.

Friday's before Bank Holiday weekends are usually special, but as it was the closest Friday to my mate Mike's birthday, we all piled in the Orchard after work for a few beers and then back to his house for some more drinks.

All I had had for lunch was a "organic" tuna sandwich (it was all they had left in the canteen), so I was starting to get hungry (and pissed, too much beer on an empty stomach). Luckily Mike and co all decided to order in a curry from an Indian restaurant. My mate Trew has always raved about Omar's curry house in Horfield, so we ordered from there. Being pissed I decided that a prawn vindaloo with special fried rice was on the cards. I can't remember a great deal about it, but I certainly knew about it the next day!! (what was I thinking?)

I woke up early on Saturday morning (I was on-call from 9am and got paged out.. at 9am), when I fixed the fault I drove over to the Post Office to pick up my signed copy of Book of the Roid (a future bestseller surely!) and when I got home I had a chicken tikka and salad sandwich.

When Sarah arrived in the afternoon, we immediately went to Asda to pick up some supplies (1x garlic chicken, 1x barbeque chicken, 3x onions, 1x box of mushrooms). Sarah then made a pasta dish using tricolor pasta, pesto, garlic, onion, mushrooms and pretty much the whole of the garlic chicken. A pretty decent meal, although she made far too much for one sitting, so I had the remains on Sunday (along with pretty much the entire bbq chicken - nice).

Monday was a Bank Holiday (May Day!), so we met up with Mike and co for a lunchtime meal at the Tinto Lounge on Gloucester Road. The food is always nice (but very expensive), this time I had a tuna steak on a bed of Thai prawn curry with noodles. It was really nice and I had a fair few Stellas there before moving on to the Anchor up the road. I enjoyed some more Stella there, before Sarah had to go home to Surrey and I don't remember much after that.. except that I woke up around 10pm and couldn't get back to sleep for pretty much the rest of the night - d'oh!

Today I was back in work, so for lunch I went to the Subway on Gloucester Rd with Martin from work. I obviously went for a foot long sub. I had the cheesey bread (toasted), chicken tikka and cheese filler with every single salad option possible (except for cucumber - I hate cucumber). I dusted it off with some sweet onion sauce and job's well and truly a good 'un.

Anyway, may I say a Happy 2nd of May to all Gasheads. It's been 16 (long) years since Bristol Rovers beat Bristol City 3-0 at Twerton Park to clinch promotion to the old Division 2 (I suppose this would be the Championship league nowadays). Rovers lost over the weekend ruling out any chance of a playoff spot. England's hopes of World Cup success may have also been dented, as our explosive young forward Wayne Rooney fractured his fifth metatarsel (big toe?) over the weekend so will probably not be fit and well for the finals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home