Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Free Bar and Beer Festival??!? A dream come true..

I got home and ate most of the remaining barbeque chicken on Friday and then went up to Sloanes Bar on Whiteladies Rd for a couple of drinks (not too many, I was on-call until 9am Saturday).

On Saturday I got up and had the rest of the chicken in a sandwich and then drove to Surrey. It was absolutely battering it down, which stops me from driving too much like a lunatic anyway.

Sarah cooked me a pasta and pesto meal with some strong cheese (no garlic, as we were obviously heading to the wedding reception afterwards).

The wedding reception was at a hotel in Bracknell, very posh.. and (to my delight) the bride and groom were picking up the tab at the bar!! So obviously I had a few beers to toast the happy couple. There was a very nice looking buffet too, but unfortunately I was still full from the pasta to eat much more (although I think I ate a fair bit of it towards the end, but who knows - I was obviously trolleyed).

Sarah and I stayed the night in the hotel and on Sunday morning, we had a full English breakfast (one of those "help yourself" dealies - ie. All you can eat). Needless to say I ate all I could eat :)

As I was in the area, I thought I would give my mate Mark Pitt a call. He is the author of the book "Book of the Roid" (which is now on Amazon). He informed us that there was a fete type thing happening in nearby Maidenhead and suggested we went (there was a beer festival inside). Sarah drove Mark, Nico (Mark's mate) and myself to the fete and we had a great time there. Sarah enjoyed the dog show, while we enjoyed the many ales and ciders that the beer festival offered (a few casks were drunk dry in the end). We also won a few prizes on the tombola (mostly alcohol).

After a while, Sarah and I had to go back to her parents' and so we dropped Mark and Nico off and met up with her parents for a Sunday meal at the Hungry Horse in Bagshot, Surrey.

They didn't have the first 2 things I ordered, but in the end I managed to negotiate a lamb joint (unfortunately I forgot to specify what potato I wanted, so ended up with mash - which I don't usually like. Although this was OK when mixed up with the lamb gravy and veg).

I had quite an early night on Sunday, as the early morning and lots of drinking had wiped me out a bit. This did mean I woke up quite early on bank holiday Monday morning though.

Sarah and I decided to go to the cinema in the afternoon and I treated her to a meal at Franky and Bennies in Bracknell for lunch. I haven't eaten at a Franky and Bennies for a while (despite there being one in Patchway), but the menu looked pretty fab! I had a starter of crayfish tail cocktail and some garlic pizza covered in mozarella.

For my main course I had a barbeque chicken lasagne (oh yeah, it tastes as good as it sounds). I might have to pop to the one in Patchway soon, there was a lot on the menu that I also fancied.
We couldn't decide on what to watch at the cinema, so ended up sitting through X-men 3 (seemed to go on forever)

After the film, I drove home to Patchway and in the evening I had the last of my mean beanz (jalfrezi) on toast with some cous cous stuff my Mum let me take home. It certainly filled me up.

Today it was back to work time. I had a little argument with the canteen staff. There wasn't much there and I was in a hurry as I needed to be on a conference call with the French soon, so I just decided on cajun chicken breast in a bun with fries with salad. However they didn't have any salad, so I chucked some red cabbage on instead - they tried to charge me 25p extra! The cheek! The situation was resolved when they said they would let me off this time, but next time I will have to pay extra :)

Tasted like shite in the end anyway. What a waste of 2.75 (they didn't even have any fivers, so my change of a tenner was just a crap load of coins).

Tonight England are playing Hungary in a pre-World Cup friendly. I will probably be watching it round a mate's house with a few Stellas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home