Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Season 2006/2007 kicks off

My plans to go up the gym on Monday night were scuppered when I got a text from Welsh Chris asking if I fancied a kick about. I had a microwave meal (barbeque chicken and pasta), which I sprinkled some kind of Italian cheese over. Surprisingly tasty and then set off to the Downs.

My team again won (well, we had the higher score - but lost in the next goal wins scenario at the end). I was plagued by a stitch (presumably where all that pasta was still travelling through my stomach).

Yesterday I was in work early, Tony drove me in so I could leave my car at home (so I could go straight to the Rovers match after work). Tony then invited me down the canteen for breakfast and I was rather hungry, so I agreed.

I had beans on toast, with a sausage and a rasher of bacon. I also added a few dollops of scrambled egg (which I covered with a load of pepper), but the egg was tasteless and watery. It did fill me up, though and I didn't need any lunch.

I did go to the canteen for lunch and eyed up the goods, the only thing that took my fancy was the noodles. But they ran out when I got there and the dude said some more would come out in 5 mins. I wandered off and came back in 5, but the same dude was again dishing up the last of the noodles to someone else. I was like "Dang, man. Where's ma noodles!?!?" - so I never ate anything. Which didn't bother me much, as I wasn't hungry anyway.

My plan was to get the bus to Horfield after work, but my mate Trew was going that way anyway - so he gave me a lift. We then went and had a few beers with Bud at the Inn on the Green pub.

As ever, with beer in the mix, it was difficult to tear ourselves away from the pub and so Bud and I arrived at the ground seconds before kick off. We then picked up our complimentary tickets that my Mum had sorted us out (through her work colleague who lives nextdoor to Craig Disley). The tickets meant we sat (yes, SAT - this is the first time I have ever been sat at a Rovers home game - ever!) up with the journalists and players friends/family in the Mead Civil Engineering Stand.However any dillusions of grandeur were robbed of us when we noticed that the visiting team, Wycombe Wanderers, were wearing the Rovers' away kit. How professional.

With the score at 0 - 0 and the clock showing 42mins, Bud and I scooted down to get some half time snacks. I opted for a chicken balti pie, it was ace - although I did burn my mouth. Luckily, our tickets gave us access to the MCE Suite.. so we went in and had a pint and checked out the half time scores elsewhere.

We returned to our seats for the second half and Rovers were kicking off.. spotters badge for Bud who noticed we were 1-0 down. I tried to get the stand singing, but it didn't really work out and I kind of wished to be back down the Blackthorn end (actually, that's called the Bass stand now) with all the atmosphere and swearing.. then I remembered I was SAT down and had beer in my belly, so those feelings were gone.

The game ended 2-1 to Wycombe (the same score as when I saw the same fixture on NYE last year). We soon churped up when we were back in the MCE suite supping Stellas. I was told the players come out in this suite to mingle with us what pays there wages - however the gaffer must have kept them in the changing rooms for a proper larting, as they never came out. Bud and I got kicked out at closing time and then we lucked out as my Mum rang to see if we wanted a lift back.

When I started waking up in the morning I had left my bedroom light on and door wide open, so I must have been in some state!

Anyway, when I got in this morning I was starving - so I went down to the canteen for a fried breakfast. I went for the exact same brekkie as yesterday.. and again didn't need any lunch.

I did go to the canteen for lunch anyway and had a bowl of soup and a bread roll even though I wasn't hungry. The soup was broccoli and cheddar.

So I am actually going to attempt going to the gym tonight, although it will have to be quite a light session as I am aching a bit from playing football on Monday night. It will be interesting to see how far I've gone from the 100.4kgs that I weighed when I last went (given that I haven't been for well over a week). I am on-call next week too, so probably won't go then. Might take Matt's advice and run round Patchway. But then I will look like a gimp.

2 Comments:

Blogger holmz said...

w00t.. I weighed 99.2kgs at the gym, surprising :-S

11:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't need to run around Patchway to look like a gimp.

10:56 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home